[UK-CONTEST] SSB FD G4ARN/P

Roger Cooke g3ldi at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 8 08:42:56 PDT 2011

Norfolk ARC uses this contest primarily as a training ground, and a contest for
the inexperienced to have some fun operating a decent station and do some contest
operating. We entered the open section with a reasonable antenna selection and a

linear to enable them to work some DX and also use RUN to some extent, something
that most of them cannot do with limited antennas and stations.

 Chris, G0DWV towed a trailer tower to our location together with an A4S beam. We
strung up two delta loops for 80m and 40m. We used the Club's Pro III and linear.

We did not have a spotting station, nor any of the other sophisticated assistance, just

bare-bone operating, using N1MM. We didn't make a huge score, but considering some
had not even been on HF before, let alone done any serious contesting, it wasn't a bad
score. Heck, some person with a camera even got a picture of me in front of a thingy,
oh yes, a microphone! Just testing prior to the contest. I did not make any QSOs in the
contest, just talked a lot outside the operating van.

We had bacon butties for breakfast courtesy of David, G7URP, whose field it was. It
was a typical summer day, cold, windy and raining at the end when we were packing up.

This is our effort:

    Band    QSOs    Pts  DXC
         3.5     227    1013   22
           7     238     984   26
          14     206     717   38
          21      36     113   24
          28      11      34    8
       Total     718    2861  118

            Score : 337,598

   Operators: 2E0GOL, 2E0DJR, 2E0CEY, 2E0GAX, 2E0RHT, M0UMH, G3XLG

   Operators but mainly supervising: G0KYA, G0DWV, G4WUG, G3YLA

   Nagging and coordinating only: G3LDI

Regards from Roger, G3LDI
Swardeston, Norfolk.