[UK-CONTEST] Short radials with earth stakes

Andy Summers g4kno.mail at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 05:17:31 PDT 2011

Hi,

Can anyone point me to any literature on the use of short radials augmented
with earth stakes at the far end, i.e. is it worthwhile? Even better if
someone on here has some direct experience! Google has only unearthed (pun
intended) mention of others experimenting but with no reference to articles.

Apparently some say that it's a bad thing because it somehow concentrates
the field into the lossy earth surrounding the earth stake, but I'm not sure
I buy that. I'm aware that I could try it and switch the connections
remotely whilst monitoring field strength, but I may as well avoid that
effort if I can.

For reference, I have a 40ft trapped 80/40m ground mounted vertical where
the radial length is restricted to about 15ft on three sides, due to the
house boundaries. On the fourth side is the lawn and I have radials up to
70ft here. At the last count I have 34 radials. They're all made from
insulated wire. The idea would be to add earth stakes at the boundary where
the radials are shortest - if it's worthwhile.

My guess is that it is worthwhile because earth return currents that come
from beyond the earth mat don't have to travel through as much lossy earth
before they capacitively couple into the earth mat. What do others think?

73 Andy, G4KNO.