[UK-CONTEST] Fishing line as support

G3RAU at aol.com G3RAU at aol.com
Thu Sep 29 02:36:47 PDT 2011

g4lmw at btconnect.com writes:

My  question is - what breaking strain would be advisable?

You could work out the total broadside cross sectional area of the antenna,
 estimate your greatest wind gust speed (not average) at the height of the
antenna, do the maths and you have the first part of the answer.
Secondly the tighter you pull the ant the greater the stress; the Arrl ant
book looks at sag tensions in horizontal wires.
Thirdly is there a balun or anything that could introduce a bouncing up and
 down effect in high wind? More complicated to evaluate because you need to
know  the stretch characteristics of the support line.
The practical answers which  have been suggested, although  empirical,
sound very sensible to me, and save hours in the text books!
There is an old Indian trick (remember the  Lone Ranger?) of making a  loop
at the end and dangling it in a U shape say 24 inches long.   Across the
top of the loop you tie a short piece of you support material but  half cut
through.  That way when the snow/ice arrives, and weighs down the  ant, the
weak link snaps, the ant drops a foot suddenly and all the snow  falls off.
The ant is still up there but a foot lower.
Have fun
73 Derek G3RAU