[UK-CONTEST] Fishing line as support

David G3YYD g3yyd at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 29 03:06:00 PDT 2011

I have used fishing line for my wire antenna end supports for decades.

The best colour to use in my environment is green (not florescent
green). It is difficult to see against a tree/hedge background and is
pretty invisible against the sky. Do not buy white (translucent) as this
shows up.

I normally use 1mm mono-filament nylon. It lasts for many years but does
eventually break (at least 5 years). It is so cheap that replacement is
not a problem.

I have under icy circumstances had the line melt where the line is tied
to the copper wire. This is of course a very high voltage point and I
think the ice covering extra loss melts the line before the water
evaporates off. Or may be it coronas. This only happens with high power
and carrier tune up/RTTY/CW. There are two solutions. The first is to
use a circa 25mm diameter ring of plastic cut from plumbing out door
plastic pipe or a thicker piece of plastic string e.g. garden twine
between the antenna end and the line.

I find that for extra strength with heavy wire dipoles and for
supporting the coax as well that the use of fishing braid is called for.
This is more visible but comes in higher strength ratings than
mono-filament. It is still less visible than rope.

The nylon mono-filament line is a great shock absorber as it is very
stretchy. This means it can absorb shocks and so can take a higher
strain than its rating as long as the stretch without breaking reduces
the load on the line. I have run it over tree branches and it seems to
take the abrasion from movement against the branch well but braid is
better. When tightening the line I wear a leather glove on the
tightening hand and use the ungloved hand to tie off.

I suggest you look around the web to find a good deal and buy a big reel
as it is cheaper per metre and will last you for many years unless you
have a huge garden and lots of wire antennas.

73 David G3YYD