[UK-CONTEST] Re - Iaru Contest - Team GB?

Chris G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 16 13:26:51 PDT 2012

Ssssh, it's all very secret!! Don't tell anyone, no photos allowed and nothing but official announcements!! Keep mum, put the blackouts up. Careless
talk etc. Your country needs you!

Anyway in the real world, my thanks to Don G3BJ and Hilary G4JKS for hosting G3WPH, G4XUM and myself for the 160m CW and 15m CW team. Whilst I have
operated from Don's QTH several times (in fact we have known each other for 50 years!) I had not had the opportunity to team up with Mike or Martin.
It was a pleasure to work with them and I learnt a lot from the whole team technically and operating style. We kept away from the silly speeding up
and dit dit stuff, preferring a more intelligent style of operating. Don's location is extremely quiet on 160m which certainly helped and the 15m
antenna system worked very well. Not having sat in front of an FT5k before, I got the impression it worked well. I am sure I didn't do it justice, too
many controls, so I was pleased to get back to my K3 for the pure simplicity! Whilst reluctantly I have to say that Wintest and the Tunnel worked
well, I did miss G3WGV's Star Log which I had got used to over the last few years.

Don was away during Saturday at an RSGB Board Meeting so left detailed instructions on how we should get the station up and running. It worked well
and even though Mike, Martin and myself didn't arrive until mid morning we were up and running before start time. I did the first hour on 15m with I
think about 130 Qs, Martin then took over and belted out around 150 Qs. Both of which were around double last years totals.

Hilary allocated me the "luxury" guest room due to my age! I didn't sleep well on my first off time, 2230 to 0200, but made up for it on my second
time! Real 5 Star contesting! This was my first serious effort after my bowel cancer surgery / chemo stuff earlier in the year so I really appreciated
being invited to contribute.

Chris G3SJJ