[UK-CONTEST] N1MM and IPv6

Chris G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 20 12:55:37 PDT 2012

Thought I would flesh this out a bit. Some confirmation would be helpful. I am setting up two laptops up for SSB FD. Have done it numerous times
before but hit a brickwall this time.

As far as I can understand a computer assigns IP addresses for networking and internet access. The current protocol designated IPv4 is being replaced
by IPv6. I *think* I understand that this uses the computer's Public IP Address as the local IP address. IPv6 is gradually being rolled out in the UK.

When you network computers you use the internal IP address, usually in the range 192. etc. That has always worked for me in the past. As far as I can
determine you can't use IPv6 addresses to network, or at least you can't mix v4 and v6 which I am trying to do. N1MM doesn't like this and I suspect
other logging s/w will react the same. One laptop runs W7 with IPv4 and v6, the other is XP with v4.

Any comments, corrections or info will be helpful.

73 Chris G3SJJ