[UK-CONTEST] Field Day - was N1MM and IPv6

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Tue Aug 21 15:25:46 EDT 2012

On 21/08/2012 19:28, Adrian MW1LCR / GW9X wrote:

<snip>

> Its typical of ADSL Router manufacturers to use a Class C, non routed IP
> address range to provide IP addresses to the internal network. Typically
> in the 192.168.x.x range, although there are others. Simply put traffic
> originating on the internet with these IP addresses are not routed. Your
> Router / Firewall usually changes the internal IP addresses to routable
> addresses, and then forwards on. This is NAT or Network Address
> translation.

<snip>

> PS I thought cluster connections for SSB FD had to be made via an
> amateur bands connection, say 144 or 432 etc? Have I got that wrong?

I thought Field Day was supposed to emphasise our
independence from power utilities, and that its
independence from communications utilities was
taken for granted.

It seems to me this networking and internet
carry-on is particularly inappropriate in the
context of Field Day.  Why not use Skype and
be done with it?

Please consider that Multi-Op does not have to
be synonymous with external networking and the
internet.

73,
Paul EI5DI