[UK-CONTEST] Field Day - was N1MM and IPv6

UKCONTEST ukcontest at btconnect.com
Tue Aug 21 15:50:03 EDT 2012

Paul

I was merely assisting our friend 'SJJ with is IT Networking issues,
highlighting that it was not necessary to use a Router or a Hub in order
to network two laptops together.

My understanding of the implication of the "Packet Connection" **rule**
within the SSB FD rule set is that of yours. The station is isolated
from all "normal utilities" and therefore "normal" Internet type access
to the packet network.

However the **rule** is :

  In all sections, equipment and antennas for packet radio access above
30MHz may also be used if desired.

Now I suppose in the 1980's this would have meant just that. Packet
access via amateur gear, amateur networks. But now, after reading 'SJJ's
original email, I am not so sure. Mainly because technology has moved
on. Maybe, Packet Network via a WiFi connection during SSB Field Day is
within the rules,,,,after all you could argue that WiFi is indeed on an
amateur band (the top end of the 23cm band covers the bottom 6 Channels
of the WifI band, I recall).

Perhaps this is one for clarification in the new rules issued by the
RSGB HF CC when they are published.

In the mean time,until directed otherwise, I'll carry on connecting to
the Packet cluster via a 144MHz connection, and use my two networked
laptops (private non internet network, that is) for logging and contest
monitoring.

Perhaps other SSB FD 'aholics would comment?

73

Adrian MW1LCR / GW9X