[UK-CONTEST] Field Day - was N1MM and IPv6

Robert Chipperfield robert at syxis.co.uk
Tue Aug 21 16:29:28 EDT 2012

On 21/08/2012 21:19, Paul O'Kane wrote:
> What is the point of setting up an amateur
> radio station in a field and then connecting to
> the internet?

Because it's quite good fun, really!

If you find it more fun not to use the cluster at your station, by all
means, don't.

I quite enjoy the challenge of getting our 2.4GHz link working over a
path a few miles long, much as I like the challenge of getting the
generators to behave themselves. Judging by the photos I seem to recall
seeing in the past of some 5.8GHz links strapped to climbing frames from
another contest station (sadly I forget whose), I'm not alone.

Field day is a challenge - to be sure, one different than most contests,
but basically just that. Given a set of rules, the goal is to maximise
your points within those rules. Currently, the rules allow for cluster
use, and that adds the challenge of getting Internet access to a field
in the middle of nowhere if you want to take advantage of it.

73,
Rob, M0VFC