[UK-CONTEST] Penalties

Derek Thom g3nks at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Aug 30 17:06:06 EDT 2012

While seeking to raise standards is a laudable aim, I don't agree that "the
whole purpose of the RSGB programme should be to improve standards".

One of the purposes, yes indeed, but of equal importance in my view is the
need to encourage people, and especially newcomers, to take part in contest
and to enjoy them. If the rules are too complex or arduous then this aspect
may not be achieved. (And I don't think that negative comments about UK ops
not be able to hack it are helpful here either!)  Having said that, I would
be in favour of penalties for miscopied callsigns but not for "wrong" serial
numbers because of problems well aired on this forum previously.

I see nothing at all wrong with ops entering contest just for the fun of it,
not seeking to win, but to have a good time and, perhaps, trying to improve
on last year's performance.  After all, it it were not for the very many
"casual" contest operators many of whom are keen enough to submit logs then
the leaders would sit at the top of very short tables!

Perhaps one of our leading contest ops might like to produce his own on-line
video to show the rest of us how to do better; not only by explaining and
demonstrating contesting techniques but also by describing the sort of
equipment need - illustrated by photos of his shack and antennas.  Just a
thought!

Keep calm and keep contesting!

73, Derek G3NKS