[UK-CONTEST] HF NFD RESULTS PUBLISHED

Andrew AC6WI ac6wi at comcast.net
Thu Aug 30 18:53:15 EDT 2012

I know HF NFD and ARRL Field Day are totally different events, but they
both get people out into a field away from commercial power to operate
so there are some similarities.

As a point of reference, the 2011 ARRL Field Day attracted 2666 entries,
of which 1634 were temporary stations using non-commercial power.  All
these entries involved 39,287 participants and this number has been
increasing for at least the last six years (it was 32,506 in 2006 and
increased every year after that)!  Maybe there is something to be said
for the ARRL approach as Field Day here is the single largest amateur
radio operating event within the US, by far!  ARRL don't call it a
contest, but it really is a contest in all but name.

Some of the differences to HF NFD are quite stark though.  ARRL Field
Day allows all bands from DC to light (except WARC bands) and all modes,
SSB, CW, digital, FM, or whatever.  You can also put up as many antennas
as you can manage in the 24 hours before kick-off time and run as many
stations as you want.  I've done five Field Days here with the W3AO
group, who have the largest Field Day set up in the US by quite a margin
(usually with 20+ 100W stations and antennas each year), and as well as
being an operating event, this is also a great social event.  The 80-odd
people who operate at W3AO *want* to come back year after year.  This
happens all over the country which is why participation is rapidly
increasing (20% in five years) in ARRL FD.  It should also be noted that
the ARRL do some serious promoting of the event in the preceding couple
of months.

I'm not saying HF NFD should copy the ARRL FD rules verbatim, but maybe
they should be looked at to see where improvements could be made to HF
NFD to encourage more participation.  See what works for ARRL FD, it
just might save HF NFD from extinction, which would be tragic.

Vy 73,

Andrew AC6WI / GI0NWG