[UK-CONTEST] the whole purpose of the RSGB (contest) programme ??

John Warburton G4IRN qrz at dxdx.co.uk
Fri Aug 31 16:44:41 EDT 2012

Picking up on a comment made by Clive/GM3POI: "the whole purpose of the
RSGB programme should be to improve standards".........

Having checked the CC web-site, I see NO documented purpose, objectives or strategy of the Contest Committee whatsoever. So, how exactly do decisions about contests and rules get made,
without anyone knowing what is trying to be achieved?

There will always be arguments (sorry, discussion!) over potential
contest rule changes whilst personal opinion and consensus of a vocal
minority might be driving the agenda. One of the problems here is that
there is no documented 'guiding light' or strategic roadmap for UK
Contesting - a set of aspirations and policy that the CC can use as a
framework for defining contest types and contest rules. This was
highlighted perfectly with the fiasco over the NFD rules earlier this
year -- I don't mean the timeliness issue, I mean the fabric of the
proposed rule changes that caused so much debate. Until a base-line for
decision making is in place, every potential rule-change will provoke
differences in opinion.

It's simple: policy, the contest portfolio and rules should be based on
the strategic values of the society with some specific additions for UK
contesting. The Society has recently published a 'shared vision for the
future of the Society'
(http://rsgbdata.net/documents/pdf/governance-and-strategy.pdf) - this
vision should be used to drive policy and strategy at sub-committee
level and hence, the portfolio of contests and their associated rules.
Although some of the values therein may well remain aspirational at a UK
contest level, I do think the recognition of volunteers by the society
(and hence its membership) is important in this context -- the CC
members are volunteers and should be respected for their efforts. Any
tools given by the society to make their work easier, with transparency,
should be encouraged; a top-down strategic vision from the Board Room
should be viewed as such a tool.

So how will those strategic views be translated into contests and
contest rules? I hope the CC is discussing that!Alongside (and aligned
with) the RSGB's strategic vision, my opinion is that UK contesting
should develop a framework where:

a)UK contesting is accessible and encouraged for all-comers (including
overseas participants);

b)New entrants are particularly encouraged to participate;

c)Advances in technology /operating types are encouraged;

d)Contesting is fun;

e)Contesting is challenging for every participant, if that's what's wanted;

f)A set of UK contests are developed that can provide a feed of quality
participants to higher levels of European and world contesting (possibly
promoting membership of RSGB contest team, GR2HQ, as a goal for aspiring
participants).

This should translate (depending on your view!) into the development of
rules that:

·Are simple;

·Are easy for the 'average station' to pitch an entry and differentiate
them from the top-guns;

·Promote self-improvement, contest by contest;

·Give opportunityto operate and compete at the bleeding edge of
technology/technique;

·Promote a high quality of operating standard.

I'm sure there will be other opinions on the detail of this, however my
gist here is that the CC should decide what it wants to achieve with UK
contesting -- a set of base principals -- that contests and contest
rules are then based on.... It might then be easier to decide if busted
QSOs should lead to a penalty, or even if the RSGB 10/15 contest should
be replaced by something more appropriate to drive forward the
development of the hobby and contest operating in the UK.

At the moment I see no clear vision.

John G4IRN.