[UK-CONTEST] PL259 Connector loss

dave at g4buo.com dave at g4buo.com
Wed Feb 1 01:51:27 PST 2012

Hear, hear. Nickel-plated PL259s are really hard to solder to. On my
visits to Dayton I used to buy bags of silver-plated PL259s, worked out at
less than a dollar each but it is a few years since I went. These plugs
take solder very well and it is much easier to make a good soldered
connection before the polythene dielectric melts!

The best way to deal wih a nickel-plated PL259 is to throw it in the bin.
The second best way is to file away the plating so you expose the brass.

Ok, I am standing by for the emails from those who say you should only
ever use N-type!

Dave G4BUO