[UK-CONTEST] Linear (?) amps & use of Illegal power levels

Ken Eastty ken.g3lvp at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 27 02:44:52 PST 2012

Comparing cars capable of exceeding the 70mph speed limit (most of them
today) with amplifiers which can exceed the UK power limit (again most
of them) is well made. You don't have to spend long on any M'way before
you are passed by a succession of cars all doing well over the limit
providing that there's not a police car in sight or an average speed
camera system in use (but even these don't seem to deter some drivers).

Sadly as in any competitive event there are always a few who will seek
to gain an unfair advantage (there's a word for this beginning with C
).  The problem with radio contesting which has already been made is
that (with the possible exception of HF NFD) there's no effective
policing which is why details of transmitters/amplifiers used should be
published in the results. We could then draw our own conclusions about
who might be running much more than the legal limit. This is not to say
that some people might still be a little less than honest but at least
there's perhaps a more chance of being found out (people talk). In the
good old days when the GPO regulated amateur radio anyone running excess
power stood a chance of gettng a visit from the from the local RI
investigator, even regular station inspections deterred most (but not
all - I can name a few G3O??'s) from using 813's (plural) on Top Band in
the days of 10W DC I/P but these tended to be used mainly in the early
hours of Sunday mornings when most RI chaps were tucked up in bed.

The idea of running 1500W (or more) puts everyone except those living in
really isolated spots at a further disadvantage, not only do most of us
have to work through the high noise levels caused by electronic devices
in nearby houses but even 400 W already gets into telephones & triggers
PIR lights, audio systems etc.  I'd like to believe that running a big
amplifier resulted in a cleaner signal, unfortunately this doesn't
always appear to be the case, some stations are louder & wider than they
should be.
The idea of using ERP as suggested a little while back rather than power
to the antenna (whose bright idea was that?) had the merit of making the
playing field just a tiny bit more even, those with big arrays still
gain on the RX side & in an isolated location lower noise levels.

When the subject of running Illegal power levels is discussed it's
always interesting to see who doesn't take part, I draw my own
conclusions from this....

73...

Ken

G3LVP