[UK-CONTEST] Linear (?) amps & use of Illegal power levels

Stewart GM4AFF stewart at gm4aff.net
Fri Jan 27 03:36:02 PST 2012

Quote Ken Eastty:
> When the subject of running Illegal power levels is discussed it's always
interesting to see who doesn't take part, I draw my own conclusions from
this....

I think the main reason why a large proportion of the 450+ contesting
followers on here aren't taking part is because they've have had enough it.
There is nothing else on this reflector guaranteed to generate a good 4 week
thread as:
- using cluster and claiming un-assisted
- using the cluster!
- using Skimmer, or even mentioning it
- using high power and claiming a lower power category
- getting help with operating and claiming single op
The competitive side of our hobby is built around trust. So maybe we should
police it ourselves - please name names. What gets me is the envy in the
assumption that anyone who does well, or just happens to have a large amp or
even a large antenna, must have been cheating. The fact is that those who do
well do so because of hours of hard work (every weekend) and years of
experience. Just because they're loud (or maybe even wide) doesn't mean
they're cheating.
The results of the 2011 IOTA Contest were released on Tuesday and not one
person has commented on them. Well done to the adjudication team for doing a
grand job. The web site works well too!
And this weekend it's the CQ 160m CW Contest - a great opportunity to have
some fun on 160m. Let's hope conditions are good.

73
Stewart
GM4AFF (GM3F)