[UK-CONTEST] Power Limitations

Rob Harrison robharrison at g8hgn.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Jan 28 03:43:37 PST 2012

Hi Ray,

I find this argument re accuracy of ERP frankly poor. I've put this idea
forward for consideration for VHF/UHF contests, but it would apply to HF
also. I get the same old weak arguments against, when frankly the arguments
for power only are weak too, as they don't take into account antennas of any
sort, which is bizarre.

Everyone seems to be hung up with the Nth degree of ERP accuracy, surely we
can agree on generic gain for certain antennas, we know the power out,
feeder loss, it's relatively simple to work out a figure for any given
station to within fairly accurate limits. Not taking antenna gain into
account at all is utterly wrong.

It seems there is a reluctance to even try it, are vested interests at play
here?

73

Bob G8HGN