[UK-CONTEST] Off Topic, nut I need some help - FT1000mp fault

John Wayman g4drs at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 21 04:07:14 PDT 2012

I have had a dig around with the DVM, but I am stumped now, so I have to ask for help:

My 'mp has developed a fault, as follows:
Switch on the rig - no receive audio can be heard, but when I advance the volume control from zero to full, it thumps in the speaker just as it starts to move.
When I press buttons, I hear the usual beep.
All the functions seem to switch on and off as usual, the appropriate lights light up, the display changes, etc.
When I switch to transmit, there is no power out, whatever the mode. The Ic meter reads full scale, 30A, however. The dial lights don't dim, nor does the power supply grunt, so I have no doubt that it is not really drawing 30A.
I checked the voltages on the power supply board, and they all seem to be in order.

Any ideas where I should look next?

Cheers,

John
G4DRS