[UK-CONTEST] 50Mhz UKAC July 2012

Rob Harrison robharrison at g8hgn.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jul 24 23:11:51 PDT 2012

Hi,

My take on last nights event.

This was a bit of an experiment for me, as I've not long had up a 6 ele LFA on the tower. Previously only had a 3 ele at 5M agl and had only entered a couple of these contests. Rig is an FT-847 with 100w.

Started off reasonably well and in the 1st hour worked 19, including Z32ZM in KN02 on ES, the 2nd hour netted 11, and the last 30 mins got 4. In all 12 squares, of which 11 were UK. Best UK contact was with GI4SNA, but it was on the limit and not sure it will stand, so could be down to 10 squares in the final adjudication.

I worked 5 stations in IO92 and 4 in IO93, but the only station heard in IO83 was GW8ASD near the end, but I couldn't raise him. Most stations seemed to be beaming north most of the time, and calling CQ didn't bring too many, so it was mainly S&P tactics. Those further north than me seemed to be doing far better it terms of QSO's judging by serials received, which is understandable given the geography. Nothing from the near continent.

So enjoyable but frustrating at the same time. I'll have to do a few more to get used to the dynamics of the contest, and the vagaries of the band for intra-uk contacts. Thanks to all who I worked and apologies to those who got away.

73

Bob G8HGN JO01fo