[UK-CONTEST] Is it time for contest sponsors to introduce an ident rule?

Olof Lundberg olof at rowanhouse.com
Tue Jul 31 01:07:41 PDT 2012

Yes, indeed poor style not to id at least every few calls whatever the size
of the pile-up.

I am however doubtful about the utility of yet another rule and the
associated complexities and arguments and proliferation of US-style amateur
lawyers.

Wouldn't it be much better to adjudicate based on full correct two-way
exchange? That would really separate the good operators from the sloppy in
the sense that a good operator ensures that what he says is also being
received. Require a correct two-way exchange for a good qso. Why not even
penalize busted calls in either direction - that would really hit the
sloppies.

We will never turn the clock back on cluster and RBN whatever Paul is
dreaming, nor would it be a good thing to stop technology evolution and
turn the hobby into a museum. It would be much better to reward good
operating and good use of technology through the scoring and adjudication
process.

73 Olof G0CKV