[UK-CONTEST] Is it time for contest sponsors to introduce an ident rule?

Mark Haynes mark.haynes at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 31 01:33:14 PDT 2012

I totally agree with Bob AGN and Don BJ. Not Id'ing is poor operating, whether it be in a contest or not. It encourages more errors in logs, and this is not good for anyone. It can be very frustrating for the unassisted op who comes accross a station but either have to wait 10 minutes for an ID or are maybe lucky enough to be there just at the right time. This is not a strategic operating style that should be allowed - it's just damn poor operating! Another thing it encourages is policeman on the freq asking for the call, something that again doesn't help anyone. It's the same with DXpedition pile ups - policeman are more likely to qrv with the lack of ID'ing.

Paul, I have to disagree with you. You're assuming all the callers in the pile up know the call. But also what about the people that are patiently waiting for the call to be announced? I don't think it's fair, when other people in the same category as the poor op do it the right way and it's not recognised. How often do you think is reasonable to announce? I believe our licences say every 15 mins. A rare station could announce every 15 mins, and still have callers from those that are assisted (having seen it on the cluster/rbn). Is this right? Or is this against the spirit of our hobby / the contest? The latter gets my vote every time. Lack of ID'ing would frustrate people and potentially lose contesters, something none of us on this reflector should want.

With a team of referees sweeping the bands observing those not announcing say every 3 QSOs would be easy.

73,
Mark M0DXR