[UK-CONTEST] GM5X IOTA Contest

Kerr, Prof. K.M. k.kerr at abdn.ac.uk
Tue Jul 31 05:09:34 PDT 2012

Call: GM5X
Operator(s): GM4YXI
Station: GM4YXI

Class: SO24SSB HP
QTH: Ellon, UK
Operating Time (hrs): 21

   80:                     55      19
   40:                    260      44
   20:                    954      90
   15:                    569      68
   10:                    209      34
Total:   0        0      2047     255  Total Score = 3,605,700

Club:

Comments:

Thanks to Fred A65BD and Don G3BJ for the steer to the appropriate website for the WinTest update - score now 'correct'.

I was not able to join a multi-op effort this year but made a last minute decision to get on and got rather sucked in to the 'fun'. What started as an intended few hours dabbling quickly became a proper effort. I spent time on Saturday morning putting up a horizontal loop on 40m, designed to work G stations, then a last minute (literally) read of the new rules reminded me that from EU-005, this was not a great investment!
Good activity, lots of multipliers.
Usual hassle from DQRM - even on 40m in the first hour which was a bit depressing. The failure to ID situation has been well aired already but was an issue on SSB too. There was some very poor operating from some casual ops - although I guess the upside here is they did actually get on and call in. Another recurrent theme in these events are the Sunday bursts of DUPES. I now quickly ask these guys whom they think they are calling and it is always because my call is busted in a spot. I am sure it happens on Saturday too of course but I won't actually know without a dupe call. It does, of course, tell you who is using spotting assistance!
Lost some time on Saturday pm and a lot more on Sunday am when wiped out by static rain.
My first effort as a single op in IOTA and I think I have not quite figured out the best tactics. 15 pointers were very hard to find in any volume from northern EU005.

Keith GM4YXI/GM5X