[UK-CONTEST] Skimmer Bandwidth

mm0gpz mm0gpz at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jun 8 05:43:44 PDT 2012

Hi Tim.

I am a new Skimmer user also so I wanted to know too. I use an LP-PAN with
a K3.

I found this on the DX-Atlas forum from the Skimmer author and he explains
it better than me.

<<<<<< I experimented a lot with different waterfall resolutions and found
out that
the resolutions other than that used in CW Skimmer work very poorly for
DXing, contesting, pileup cracking, etc. Lower resolutions make it difficult
to read Morse Code visually, do not allow you to accurately set the
frequency, make the bandmap too crowded, etc. I decided to hardcode the
optimal resolution in the program. As a side benefit, this allowed me to
implement waterfall panning - you can drag the waterfall vertically and see
what is above and below the current window. Rocky has variable resolution
but does not have panning: these two functions are mutually exclusive.

Of course, nothing prevents CW Skimmer from decoding CW on the frequencies
that are not visible on the screen, decoding is independent of the display.

73 Alex VE3NEA  >>>>>>>>>>>>>

73

Gordon
MM0GPZ