[UK-CONTEST] 6m Test G3LDI

Roger Cooke g3ldi at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jun 24 08:51:31 PDT 2012

I got set up for this on Saturday and then had to go out as I had a jazz gig. I came into the shack
Sunday morning at 9 oclock, tuned around and heard very little. Beaming into EU I heard a few
EU stations so worked about 3 between 9 and 10. Suddenly at 10 several G stations appeared. I
worked G4BUE and gave him 004 and immediately after G0IBN and gave him 005 at 1001. He told
me that was impossible! You guessed it, I got the wrong time, should have been GMT.
  I had to dispatch that log and start again, giving Andy 002 and leaving Chris in my log at 001 and
had to tell him later. He must have thought me mad....  Apologies for the bad preparation

  Then we had an almighty storm and the static was terrible. Very strange effect on 50MHz. The noise
level built up gradually to a high level and then with a loud click as it discharged and the noise decreased.
   My first attempt at the "white noise band" contest.  Some of the G stations sounded like KL7s and at
one moment perfectly readable and the next in the noise. Sending at 28-30 wpm does not help. Better to
send at around 22-24 and get the info across more reliably.

   Working with a sick FT-2000, the mixer chips failed for a second time a couple of months ago, but I

could not part with the rig until the 80M CC tests have finished.  The antenna is a 4-el Steppir with the
added 50MHz elements at 110ft.  Only 22 Qs however, but I did have to cook lunch.
  I used N1MM and the UKMSG module, but editing the entries as I went along and mostly sending by
hand rather than the program.
  Quite an interesting contest, please keep it in the calendar. DON'T make it 24 hours though! Three is plenty.

Regards from Roger, G3LDI
Swardeston, Norfolk.