[UK-CONTEST] After the 6m CW contest

Chris Tran GM3WOJ gm3woj at christran.net
Mon Jun 25 07:41:02 PDT 2012

Hi Tim et al

Tin G4FJK wrote :
> But I don't understand the discussion about logging software.  For simple
> logging in VHF contests, the Minos software does us very well,
> complimenting
> our Pen & Paper log which our rig operator fills in.  Do so many stations
> rely on keyboard-sending as well, which Minos doesn't support ?  We just
> plugged away with a Bencher paddle, which I expect showed in the errors
> towards the end.

I was all set to enter this contest when a bout of flu struck me down, so
interesting to read about it.

There are several reasons us 'HF guys' (I used to be a VHF guy) like
keyboard sending so much :
1. It is much less tiring for the operators - the paddle is just used for
fills or repeats or whatever
2. It (almost) always ensures you *send and log* the correct callsign,
correct serial number and other exchange info.
3. There is no extra layer of work, where you have to transcribe a paper log
into a PC, with the potential for errors.
4.  Any computer log can be easily checked and e-mailed within hours of the
end of the event.

Most of the logging packages support these types of 'VHF' contest e.g. N1MM,
WinTest - they might not give you a 100% accurate claimed score at the end
of the event, but that does not matter.

73
Chris
GM3WOJ