[UK-CONTEST] UBNs - ARRL DX CW

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Wed Jun 27 10:03:04 PDT 2012

Chris Tran GM3WOJ wrote:
>Am I the only HF contester who is completely fed-up with the pious
>drivel from VHF contesters about 59 reports ? These repeated attempts
>to take the moral high ground are getting a bit tedious.
>
>Let's just accept that the mindset and skills required are very
>different and that comparisons or attempts to influence others are not
>really worthwhile.
>
>[Considering that JT65A is the ultimate database mode, it seems strange
>to accuse HF contesters of being database merchants !]
>
>Separate HF and VHF contest reflectors would seem to be a good idea ?

No, that would only make it worse. Both sides would float off in their
own little bubble of ignorance.

Nobody owns the monopoly on the definition of a "What Is A QSO". It is
only established by custom and practice, so there are SEVERAL VALID
DEFINITIONS that each apply in their own respective areas of amateur
radio.

Nobody can claim that a definition from their area applies anywhere
else... because that is self-evidently not true.

HF definitions tend to be world-wide for obvious reasons. VHF
definitions differ in detail between Europe and the USA (as you will
hear when 6m opens across the Atlantic). On the other hand, there do
have to be worldwide standards for VHF/UHF moonbounce.

Then along come the various contest organisers, writing down their
rules, and these too set various kinds of national and international
standards.

This is a classic case of "Standards are great - you can have so many
different ones!"

Meanwhile the bloke from the 80m Backache Net, who spends hours on the
radio but has never thought about this question in his life, asks: "Who
are you lot, all trying to tell me what a QSO is? I know what a QSO is,
thank you!"... and he is perfectly right. For his kind of amateur radio,
he does know.

The only thing that is definitely, categorically WRONG is to fail to fit
in with the custom and practice of wherever you happen to be right now.

The label of "Ugly Tourist" doesn't look good on anybody... regardless
of where they came from.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek