[UK-CONTEST] March 144/432 - G3PYE/P

Robert Chipperfield robert at syxis.co.uk
Mon Mar 5 12:55:14 PST 2012

Hi all,

A few of us headed out with Flossie to our usual site just outside
Cambridge for a six hour entry in the March 144/432 contest. (The CDARC
rally on Sunday morning prevented a 24-hour entry.)

Unlike last year, we took a Scam 12 mast along as well, and used this
for the 70cm beam. Previously, we'd mounted both beams on Flossie's 20m
mast, which gave us more height on 70cm, but at the expense of not
having them independently rotatable. We also suffered a little
breakthrough between the two stations last year, which was absent this time.

On 2m, things were slow but steady for most of the contest - a few
decent distance contacts in DL (best being DR1H in JN59), but nothing
particularly to write home about. We did hear an HB9 briefly at one
point, but it wasn't to be.

Map:
<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http://www.rsgbcc.org/vhf/kml_files/2012/pLjMaeIzKFLE2zuUgGXhOq4iJoTmbal>

70cm was significantly slower, with fewer than half as many contacts,
and not many in Europe either. We were limited to about 80w, and coax
that isn't as good as it could have been, so I suspect we just weren't
loud enough to attract the attention of those to the east. As others
have commented, we tried to move stations from 2m to 70cm whenever
possible, and when they were so equipped, this generally produced good
results.

Map:
<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http://www.rsgbcc.org/vhf/kml_files/2012/z1I4T5VIXlvcGCunjIyiiMmUMMrsQ2D>

Most of our QSOs resulted from our CQ calls on both bands - we did spend
significant amounts of time tuning around as well, but there seemed to
be a great lack of those calling CQ for us to go back to. This probably
explains the significantly different ratios of UK to EU stations in Bob
G8HGN's and our logs, and our substantially lower points/QSO (389 vs
246). Nicely done Bob for finding all those you did!

We had several visitors to the field throughout the afternoon, including
several who haven't yet operated in a contest, and whilst in this case
they were happy to observe, it was most encouraging to see them getting
both enthusiastic and taking the opportunity to note the operating
techniques that tend to be used. I'm hoping we'll hear them on the air
themselves soon.

After a quick pack-up at 8pm, those of us who remained decamped to the
local curry house - and very fine it was too!

73 for now,
Rob, M0VFC