[VHFcontesting] 432 activity

Ed Kucharski k3dne at adelphia.net
Tue Dec 11 21:54:04 EST 2001

Tree,
Activity hours used to be very popular here on the east coast.
I have noticed a trend in recent years of a decline in the number of
stations, other
than multi-ops,  spending much time on 222MHz and up during the activity
hours.  That is
probably due to the trend of moving stations from band to band and using 6
and 2
meters as the "run" bands (in my case 2m which is why I'd like to improve
my 2m
station capabilities so I can qsy more stations to 222MHz and up).
I still go to 222MHz at 8am and 8pm and 432MHz at 9am and 9pm but instead of
spending a whole hour on the band I'll spend 15-30 minutes calling CQ and
listening
for new stations and spinning the beams - then it is back to 2m.  I dont
even bother
going to 903/1296MHz at 10am or 10pm because the chance of a random qso
there is pretty
remote.  I've noticed similar styles with other single-ops in the area.

The key for me is to ask every station I work on 6 and 2 meters "any other
bands?" to add to my
qso (and grid) total on bands other than 2m. I dont do this as well or as
frequently as others do - I
should though. Sometimes I find myself not asking the question
because I just found this nice qrm free freq on 2m and I know that if I'm
gone even for 5
minutes someone else will plop on that freq.  I have to remind myself
several times during a
contest not to be so complacent about asking the question since moving a
single station to
222, 432, 903, 1296 and 50MHz (in my case) is worth 11 2m q's - more in the
jan vhf ss.

You may want to consider (in addition to your flyer idea) advertising your
432 activity and
pushing the "activity hour" concept on the internet by announcing when and
where you will be
on 432, what your most likely 2m run freqs will be (so you could qsy
stations to 432) in
advance of the contest on this reflector, the other vhf weak sig
reflectors, the rover resource
page and maybe even on the UHF activity logger at dxworld.
Good luck.
73,
Ed K3DNE
FM19