[VHFcontesting] Re: FM Simplex freqs?

Martin Hibbs mhibbs at ipeg.com
Tue Apr 30 12:14:00 EDT 2002

Tom,

I and many others have been using 146.58 as the simplex frequency during
contests.  The reasoning for this is that since we here in the Pacific
Northwest use the 20KHz convention in our local bandplan it is a
frequency available up from 146.52 that folks who still have radios
which only do the old 30 KHz splits can use in common with those who
operate the more frequency agile recent radios.  While it is true that
the newer radios can go anyplace, many local folks have the tuning step
default set at 20KHz.  146.58 just makes it easier for everyone.  One
could, of course, move down the same distance, but it seems that the
local convention is to move up.

Marty...
N7MX/R  Listening 146.58, 223.5 and 446.00 when contesting.