Fw: [VHFcontesting] RE: VHF Contesting

Bob Naumann - N5NJ n5nj at gte.net
Fri Dec 6 12:43:29 EST 2002

Regrettably, the manufacturers are reluctant to support less than the major DXpeditions unless they will really get them a ton of publicity.

We've been operating from Antigua for several yesrs in DX contests and have asked all of the manufacturers if they would be willing to sponsor us, and to date, we have not had a single radio manufacturer offer us anything better than a discount of a certain percentage off of list price to buy their radios.  This percentage usually equates to a price higher than what you could buy the same radio for from any of the 1-800 places.

Smaller companies, however, do help out and provide real products in exchange for publicity and also offer to help offset QSL costs - with appropriate logo on the cards of course.

Factory sponsorship, like in motorsports, does not occur in ham radio at all that I'm aware of.  What I'm talking about would be a manufacturer bank-rolling the operation with money.  I've never heard if that occuring.

N5NJ