[VHFcontesting] VHF contest CW

Bill Olson callbill at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 23 21:33:26 EST 2002

Hey gang! The big gun serious contesters will do whatever they need to to
get a higher score. If it means operate primarily on CW because CW qso's are
worth more points that's what will happen. So the points spread between the
big guns back east and the little guns out west gets bigger not smaller. At
my station and at K1WHS multi-unlimited I/we use CW when we need to and SSB
when we need to in order to make the most contacts as quickly as possible.
Sometimes contacts are even crossmode. Heck, since VHF contesting often
requires copying "weak signals" and CW is best for weak signal
communications, there ALREADY IS an advantage to operating CW. Increasing
the qso points for CW contacts will do nothing to make the contest more fair
or to increase activity, and as mentioned before, it would probably DECREASE
activity!! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Bill K1DY - FN54 Maine