[VHFcontesting] Icom vs. Yaesu question

Jacob Tennant k8jwt at ntelos.net
Thu Jul 11 22:59:47 EDT 2002

Looking at buying either a Icom IC-706MK2g or a Yaesu FT-100D for use in
either a ROVER or Single-Op contesting station as well as day to day VHF
use.

Since I have no experience with either radio other than reading the reviews
from various web sites, I am asking for a gentlemenly presented opinion poll
from the group of the pro's and con's of the two radios.

I know from past reading that this is a tough question to answer but I am
taking out a small personal loan to pay for the radio and some antennas for
all 3 VHF/UHF bands, so I want to be really sure before I sign for a loan
and spend the money.

Also I know that everyone is different when it comes to how they feel a
radio works but my main concerns are in the area of RFI from vehicles
systems in the rover case, and for any faults you might have seen from
either radio in full blown contest use.

Thank you in advance for any and all replies...

Jacob Tennant  K8JWT