[VHFcontesting] Re: [Rover] Icom vs. Yaesu question

Rodney J J Johnson we7x at juno.com
Thu Jul 11 21:36:05 EDT 2002

Jacob,
   So would you buy Ford, a  Chevrolet, or a Dodge; if you had the money
for a rover vehicle??
  Seriously, you have asked a very tough question.  The main differences
in the radios seems to be in the menu structure.  Those who have other
Icom radios seem to gravitate toward the 706 rigs.  I previously had an
Alinco DX-70, and although the noise blanker was a farce, the rest of the
rig was much easier to operate without refering to a manual.   I sold the
Alinco only because I wanted 6M, 2M and 432MHz all in one radio; not for
roving particularly, but for general portable traveling convenience.
   I have a complete seperate station for roving, consisting of mostly
seperate rigs for the different bands. .
   I finally wound up with a Yaesu FT-100, and now a FT-817 also.
   Remember with either the FT-100 or the 706, you will also need to
seperate the 2M and 432MHz  outputs, which will both come out on one
connector, so you will also need a duplexer.  Since 6M and HF are on the
other output,  the 6M signal should not be a problem.
   Hooking up an amplifier or multiple amplifiers has another set of
problems.  How does the radio know which amp to key up?  I'm not sure
what provision the Icom has for this, but the Yaesu  has none.  There is
only one PTT output lead, and it does not care what band you are on.  It
requires one more switch to select the PTT lead to the correct amp for
the chosen band.
  I probably have been of no assistance, but hopefully will just add to
the general input.

Rod Johnson  WE7X (ex KA7YOU) Grid CN97AL - near Issaquah, Wa