[VHFcontesting] Skeds et al

Larry Tree Tyree N6TR tree at kkn.net
Thu May 23 10:09:24 EDT 2002

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 09:07:16PM -0400, The Greene Family wrote:

> If I recall, the whole thing about making skeds using non-amateur
> means during a contest being evil was because of an event in 80's.
> It seems a well funded HF station in the Caribbean didn't use their

The station might have been in OH (not Ohio).

> So, here is my proposal:  Make it legally, ethically, and spiritually
> acceptable for anyone to make skeds during the contest using the
> internet (or if you must, over the phone.)

How does one make it acceptable by mandate?  I would never feel good
about using skeds in a "contest".  I would not feel good about using
the internet or phone and be "unassisted".

> The reasoning is this:  I consider VHF contests an opportunity to
> make long distance contacts or at least challenging contacts (one
> ham's local is another ham's DX).  Making contacts well beyond the
> ordinary.  Pushing the limits.  That's what the whole thing is about.
> Or started out to be about.  So, why not do everything you can to
> facilitate this?

I think you can encourage people to get on the air, without making
arrangements for specific QSOs.

> Wouldn't it be great if you could get on from your average home
> location that's within a half hour of your job, with your above
> average VHF station, and work some station on 2 meters 600 miles away
> without an opening?  How could you do that if you couldn't anyone's
> attention with your average signal?

I think you can do that in most any VHF contest - without a sked.

> You could make the point that allowing this scheduling would make the
> contest more fair and equitable than it is presently.

Hmm - I look forward to that debate.

> The first is: How would you guarantee that the contacts are
> legitimate?  My response is that you'd do it the same way you do
> right now.  Check the logs.  There is just as much chance for a
> conspiracy if scheduling is allowed than if it isn't, I'd think.  In
> fact, if the skeds were made through a public resource like DXSummit
> or DXWorld, then the contacts would be laid bare for the world at
> large to see.

I don't see that as the biggest issue.

> Gee, maybe I can only think of one argument.

How about the guy in the parking lot of a ham fest who has a big two meter
antenna pointing at some multi-multi and lets you hook up your HT to work
them?

> I'd also like to ask this of the group:  How is a contact arranged
> over the internet any different than somebody (or some group)
> equipping somebody else with an entire portable station, on a host of
> bands, and sending them out into the world during the contest?  Isn't
> there just the slightest chance that the equipment supplier is going
> to be the beneficiary of the majority of the rover's contacts?  How
> are the goodness of those contacts policed?

I hope that rovers attempt to work as many people as they can when they
are on from a new grid.  I know I would in that position.

> Oh yeah, I thought of the other argument.  Maybe the active
> participants really don't want this to be a VHF DX contest.  Maybe
> their preference is for a contest of lots of easy contacts.
> Especially for the "haves."

Well - maybe VHF Contest is really an oxymoron, and we are just debating
if the emphasis is on VHF or Contest.

Nice to hear from you.

Tree