[VHFcontesting] HF vs VHF, Sked or Not, FM or Not, K7XC Multi & W7PW/R

Tim Marek timm at cccomm.net
Thu May 23 20:12:47 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Tree Tyree N6TR" <tree at kkn.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 9:09 AM
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Skeds et al

> On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 09:07:16PM -0400, The Greene Family wrote:
>
> > If I recall, the whole thing about making skeds using non-amateur
> > means during a contest being evil was because of an event in 80's.
> > It seems a well funded HF station in the Caribbean didn't use their
>
> The station might have been in OH (not Ohio).

Before I discovered VHF contesting  in 1991, I was a avid HF DX & SS
contester,  entering up to 18 or so events each year from 1979 to 1993.
I even placed 8th nationaly in SS SSB one year. The early 80s were heady
times of big sunspots and HUGE Contest DXpeditions. FUN STUFF!!

The station in question was the OH0 (OH0W?) Multi Multi from 1982(?).
They had 2 ops to man the 4 line satellite telephone system they installed
just to call stations and work them. The whole setup including the telephone
"station" was a 4 or 5 page feature article in CQ. I think I still have it
somewhere as I meant to keep it as a example of extreme contesting. I
remember thinking the subtitle of the article should have read something
like "Or How We Bought The Contest For 1.2 Million Dollars"

Dont get me wrong, they worked damn hard to win, found the grey areas
in the rules and exploited them, & had a no holds barred attitude that you
just have to admire. They pushed the bar higher than ever that year with
rule changes as part of the result of their efforts.

VHF Contesting is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT WORLD! Skeds above 2M
are a requirement if you are to maximize your potential score. use of FM is
and should remain allowed. Not everyone has the active weak signal
population
as their is along the eastern seaboard states. When I used to publish the
North
American VHF Directory, the grid FN32 had more active stations in it alone
than all of SIX & SEVEN land! While not everyone has SSB capability, almost
everyone has at least 2M FM. The only way we in the west can sometimes work
our own grid is thru friends who we told in advance to look for us on
146.550
simplex between 11 am Sat and 8 pm Sun. 220 FM is pretty big in CA and a
large source of Qs. I have worked several FM ONLY rovers as thats all they
could afford.

So, Enough Whinning! Lets get ready to CONTEST!

See you all from atop 7800' Mt Ella NV in DM27. Stop by and say HI!
I'll be on 6M while my friend and partner Dave - W7KK mans 144, 222,
and 432 Mhz. KW power levels and large arrays. "Know CW"

Also, Jack - W7PW/ROVER will be activating most of the grids in NV on
6, 2, 222, 432, 902, & 1296. His Route starts in DM07 at the 07/08/17/18
grid corner, then to the top of Booker Mtn in DM18, then Hwy 6 thru Area 51
to Hiko and DM27, then North on Hwy 93 thru DM37, DM28, DM29, DM38,
DM39, then east on Hwy 50 thru DM19, then north to Battle Mtn and DN10,
then atop Winnemucca Mtn in DN11, then Hwy 80 to DN00 and home to
DM09.   "Know CW"

73s de Tim - K7XC - DM09ol... sk
---------

http://k7xc.tripod.com/K7XCweaksignal/
http://k7xc.tripod.com/VHF_Records/
"What We Do In Life... Echo's In Eternity!" - General Maximus