[VHFcontesting] Adding another band

Duane Grotophorst n9dg at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 2 14:44:58 EDT 2002

Like most of the previous respondents I too would go
with 222, despite its reputation of being inactive I
consistently work almost as many grids on 222 as I do
on 432 during contests. The propagation and overall
"feel" of the band is a cross between 144 and 432, ...
as one would expect.

For the "money is no object" case I would still go
with 222 at 100W or so and 3-5 wavelength or so boom
antenna (good feedline of course) first, and then add
gear for 1296 and 902/3 as well. I would add the
higher bands before adding more power and antennas on
any of the lower 4. Furthermore I would put
money/effort into low loss feedlines before big
expensive antennas.

Duane
N9DG
EN53bj