[Mw] Re: [VHFcontesting] ARRL Membership Services Committee VHF/UHF Award...

N. Spokes gnspokes at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 10 09:44:05 EDT 2002

To promote VHF operation by hams, I have suggested a GOTA (get on the air)
VHF station add-on to Field Day. How about a 2 X VHF multiplier for each VHF
contact, a 4 X for >900 MHz and a 10 X for 10 GHz and above?  (That would be
on top of 4 points for a <150 W CW contact.)  40 points for a single 10 GHz
CW contact would give the 'VHF station' some respect, not now accorded.  I'm
not much of a contester, but would enjoy bringing my VHF and 10GHz systems
to FD for extra points and fun.  In the past, people have been much too busy
making HF contacts to give VHF anything but a minor nod of acceptance at FD
(and in general) a 6 m station only gets us 200 points vs 1000's for a
'real' HF radio contact.   FD is the major annual operating social event for
many clubs - it's the one an only "y'all come" event for our local club.

BTW - Yeah! We enjoy seeing in print how well our club station, W4VA, did in
the FD QST issue.
Neil.