[VHFcontesting] Re: [Mw] W3HMS Sprint Result, Comments, and Fire Report!

W3HMS at aol.com W3HMS at aol.com
Sun Oct 13 04:20:40 EDT 2002

Hi Bill and guys.......It was fun indeed as a Rover and my contacts were with
Bill and almost a dupe with Steve KB8VAO as Bill noted below.  Many thanks to
Bill and to Steve.

I chatted with K2SMN (NG on 1.2 Ghz) and AA2UK on 2 meters. I quit at 1100
tired es hungry and EOCP (see below).   I had worked each from the same site
in past on 1.2 Ghz with good sigs on 2 m. This time the super lousy WX made
contacts but a dream. I hated to miss K1RZ and W4SW but had no choice after
1100. I really needed to make some QSOs to prove to myself my eqpt on 2/3/5
GHz was working OK as my results with W4SW on 5 Oct suggested I needed a
brand new station, HI!.

As Bill noted on the air, I was also amazed at the good signal strength on 10
Ghz I had with Bill and with Steve from more than 45 miles. This was inspite
of the band of wet trees I shot through worth an estimated -30 db...or more.
The scatter was so band that I could not really point my very sharp 24 inch
offset dish on 10 Ghz.

One interesting thing to pass on.......my QSO with Steve on 3.456 was his
first on that band with FB sigs at each end so we tried a ragchew in FM for 5
minutes or so. About 1100, I handed my field strength meter to Nick, KB3IJH,
a frequent young ham visitor with us in FM19av and said, "What meter reading
do you have?
He said "it was smoking". I thought that was a new teen age "jazz speak",
HI!!!   But ,no he said, "your feed is smoking"!!!

My on-site inspection showed that the thin film food wrap WX cover on this
tri-band WA5VJB 2.1-6 Ghz log-periodic feed was indeed burnt near the outside
edges.
On closer inspection at QTH, my 40 watts had charred the PCB to a depth that
it now needs replacing with a fresh one in hand.

For Kent, please, what do you recommend as a ray-dome et al... ...and I
promise to use SSB only on 3.4, HI??

See you all on Activity Day 2 Nov 02

73,

John