[VHFcontesting] Looking for new xcvr

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Sat Sep 7 10:38:06 EDT 2002

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 10:02:50PM -0700, John Geiger wrote:
> My first suggestion would be to get a Yaesu FT736R.
> Had one of these for awhile, and it plays really nice
> as a contest rig.  My friend Don, NL7CO, pointed out
> that the ergonomics are not the best, but they are not
> bad either.  It is a pretty easy rig to operate, and
> they can be picked up at reasonable prices.  The best
> thing about it is the modules that will allow you to
> get on 222 and 1296 with it.  The only other plug and
> play 222 rig is the Icom 375A, and prices for them are
> through the roof.

I've used both the Yaesu FT-726R and the Yaesu FT-736R.
The 736R, despite being the newer rig and thereby probably
more reliable, is unfortunately not a very good receiver.
The 726R has a much better receiver, and can be found for
much less on the used market.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences      VP, Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops