[VHFcontesting] Re: [DX] RFI/Power line noise problem

Ron Stordahl ron.stordahl at digikey.com
Wed Sep 18 09:36:55 EDT 2002

You need to do what I did, put together a portable noise sniffer and go on
the search.  To make it sufficiently directional I bought an ICOM IC-R10,
which does AM up to 1.3 GHZ.  I used this in conjunction with a 440 MHz 5
element beam which is small enough to be hand held but directive enough to
be worthwhile.  Its important that the radio be AM and not 'sort of AM'.
The 'sort of AM' actually are FM and they claim to do AM by tuning to the
side of the AM signal, they call it 'slope detection.'  It's no good for a
noise sniffer..you need actual AM.  I suppose SSB reception would also work.
But FM, no way.

Now take your noise sniffer outside and start listening.  Over several years
I found several power line problems with insulators/hardware plus one bad
transformer.

With the equipment I have described I could easily isolate the problem to a
single pole.

Ron N5IN