[VHFcontesting] No Data+only annecdotal speculation=wrong solution

N3AWS at aol.com N3AWS at aol.com
Thu Apr 10 12:48:43 EDT 2003

>>ps...it's summer in London when it's winter in Cape Town (duh!)

>Hate to burst your bubble. It never freezes in Cape Town. Average Temp is
74.
Average 'winter' temp is 66.

It's 51 degrees here, but that won't prevent me from eating ice cream.

I don't have any "facts" or "fallacies" to support my opinions (or even
statistics), but for what they're worth:

1.  There are large groups of folks with the CAPABILITY of working one or
more VHF/UHF bands and perhaps a bunch of different strategies are needed to
motivate each of these potential contestants (e.g. the HF packers w/
FT-817's, 2 mtr FM'ers, HF contesters, etc.).  Ped mobile HF'ers might be
very inclined to try the portable category, HF mobileers the Rover cat, HF
contesters the multi-op cat, etc if QST would feature the little guy.
Instead, they've dropped the line scores (which give the beginner some idea
of how well they actually have done in context to similiar stations) and
replaced it with "The race for the multi-muilti crown was once again between
W!XYZ and K2ABC with the difference being W1XYZ's 520 multipliers..."  If
this is my first contest and I make only a handful of QSO's in my own grid,
reading these write-ups is going to make me feel I did something wrong and
why bother to send in a log?

2.  Going to web based reporting of results means that only those with a
particular interest are going to pursue the results and, now that the novelty
has worn off, submit soapbox comments.  Why can't we have both?

3.  Ok, I don't want to make this into the next code/no-code debate, but I
really wish QST would re-think the removal of line scores.  It sends the
wrong message.

73,  Jim N3AWS