[VHFcontesting] No Data+only annecdotal speculation=wrong solution

Ed Kucharski k3dne at adelphia.net
Fri Apr 11 14:50:16 EDT 2003

At 12:42 PM 4/11/2003 -0400, Joel N. Weber II wrote:
> > I've been a proponent of a contest with a distance scoring scheme
> > for some time and I think it could be a big hit in the September
> > contest.  I won't bore everyone with my distance scoring diatribe
> > again but I do think it is worth considering - it would add a
> > slightly different flavor to the vhf+ contests that are all
> > basically all the same.
>
>I seem to recall discussion of this a while ago, quite possibly on
>this list.  One of the problems is that those who don't happen to own
>a GPS suddenly have another incentive to not participate.

Joel,
Not necessarily.  One of the proposed scoring schemes was to use 4
character grid squares (ie. FM19 in my case) vs. a scoring scheme using 6
digit grid squares (ie. FM19ml).  Most rovers could determine their 4
character grid square location with a road map or atlas and therefore GPS
which would be helpful but not an absolute necessity.  The author of my
contesting software even added a distance scoring scheme to his software
when this was a hot topic a couple of years ago - he since removed it since
the concept didn't seem to move beyond the interest of these
reflectors.  I'd be happy to explain the distance scoring scheme using 4
character grid squares to you in a private email if you desire (to decrease
reflector bandwidth).
73,
Ed K3DNE