[VHFcontesting] Distance based scoring and attracting newcomers

Tree tree at kkn.net
Sat Apr 12 13:56:08 EDT 2003

Wow - Gene sure got the troops fired up with his article.  Nice
to have someone like that writing on the subject.

Is the distance scoring something people are proposing to help
attract newcomers?  It isn't obvious to me that there is a connection
there.  Running a parallel contest would be easy for the Boring
Amateur Radio Club to do - as they already sponsor a 160 meter
contest that uses grids for the exchange and gives points based
upon the distance.  However, I don't see this as a solution to
attracting new people - rather it is more for the those of us
already participating.

Back to the subject at hand - I really like the comments that have
been made about being more active.  This is really the key.  It
isn't one big thing that is going to make the difference.  Rather,
a lot of little things added together.  One convert at a time.

As far as interviewing people that didn't send in their log - be
careful with that one.  A lot of people won't like being approached
and asked "how come you didn't send in your log".  I have personally
done this for other contests that I am involved in and most people
will get rather defensive when confronted.

I think we can put ourselves in the position of the non-believer
and do a lot of constructive thinking about ways to attract new
converts.  It isn't rocket science - really.  Just something that
requires a little effort, creativity and energy.

73 Tree N6TR / K7RAT
tree at kkn.net