[VHFcontesting] comments from non-submitters?

Ev Tupis (W2EV) w2ev at arrl.net
Sun Apr 13 09:18:28 EDT 2003

People participate because: o It's fun
                            o There's a reward for doing so
People submit logs because: o It's easy
                            o There's a reward for doing so

Bryan (K0EMT) wrote the following insights that fit this belief:
<snip>
> Several reasons why I don't turn in logs:
>
> - Didn't have time to operate whole contest, not much to show.
> - Band cndxn sucked, not much to show.
> - logged on paper or just with notepad - too much hassle to configure
>   contest program to get data in right format to submit.
>
> (Sometime I just like to play radio with out the computer and with out
> the hash no matter how minor from the computers.)

On the first point... he participated, so it WAS fun for him, and he GOT a
reward for doing so.  On the secont point ...

Unlike what some of the "regular log submitters" have said...
o There are modes of operation that don't make it easy to submit a log
o There are combinations of factors that result in no perceived reward
  for submitting a log

I am not suggesting that Bryan's post should be solely used to "solve the
problems".  It is but one data point of hundreds that should be considered in an
analysis.  I am also not suggesting that we inundate him with emails that will
"fix things".  If nothing else, it shows that data from non-submitters is what
we should be considering... *that* is the data that is useful.

Bryan, well done and thank you for taking the time to offer those insights.
Well done, indeed!

Kind regards,
Ev Tupis, W2EV