[VHFcontesting] More insights - Log Submittals

Hoffman, Mark mhoffman at microwavedata.com
Wed Apr 16 10:17:00 EDT 2003

Wasn't the original focus, of this entire thread - the assertion that
participation is dropping, based on reduced numbers of logs submitted? If
participation = logs submitted, then we're dropping. If participation is NOT
equal to logs (as it's starting to look like) then IS there really a
problem? And does that warrant "fixing" a contest?

The true means that the ARRL could provide (since they should hold all the
log data from Jan 2002 onward in electronic format) as part of the
electronic contest summary is the NUMBER OF QSOs represented, and the NUMBER
OF UNIQUE CALLS represented in that body of data. It's done for other
contests, probably for tracking of just this purpose.

If it's been done, I've not seen it. Writeups provide numbers of logs. Those
numbers are obviously falling by the wayside. Wayne (N7NG) or Dan (N1ND) -
if you are reading this - could it be done? I'd like to see numbers like
this. It'd easily represent whether we're losing people that just aren't
playing vs. those playing and not submitting.

With that information, we can make a real determination whether LOGS are
dropping (indicating a problem with process, etc?) or PARTICIPATION is
dropping (other discussions needed?).

-Mark, K2AXX
ABCD9EFGHIJL
FN12cs