[VHFcontesting] comments from non-submitters?

Lee Scott - AA1YN aa1yn at aa1yn.com
Thu Apr 17 09:02:58 EDT 2003

At 08:19 PM 4/16/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I don't quite qualify to respond to this thread, since I did submit a log in
>the January VHF Sweepstakes.  My XYL and I did put in a fairly big effort, and
>although it looks like we'll be taking last place in our section, we did
>submit a log for a little recognition or something.

Rick,
I have the feeling you are well qualified to speak about submitting your
logs.  You are probably the type who would not submit logs and maybe by
understanding what made you decide to submit is just as important.

>The January VHF SS was really the first VHF contest I had participated in,
>since I just got a new FT-817, and since I finally had something for VHF, I
>wanted to give it a try.  Submitting the log didn't seem like a really big
>deal, but we went ahead and did so since it wasn't too much bother.  Since
>we've run into a lot of nice people from the local VHF club, we'll probably
>pay our dues before the next contest, and submit a log for that one to help
>them out with the club score.
>
>For a casual contester, submitting an electronic log is not (or is not
>perceived as) a very user-friendly proposition.  I did have to poke around the
>'net for quite a while to figure out exactly what Cabrillo format was, and
>then I just went ahead and did our logs manually using Notepad.  That seemed
>to be the easiest way to do it (with a couple hundred QSO's).  I suspect most
>newbies would not take the time to do so.

I agree with you on trying to figure out what a Cabrillo format was.  I
finally did some browsing around the net and found a free logging program
called TacLog. I used it to re-enter my first VHF contest from my paper log
just to get it into Cabrillo format. TacLog was at the time the only free
logging program I could find which would output in that format. There are
others now for free - most notably CTlog just became freeware (
http://www.k1ea.com/ ). I've been a life member of the ARRL since 1969 but
due to military circumstances, I let my license lapse back in '76. Just got
my license back in June '01 and was able to put out a couple of contacts
during the June contest - pitiful score of 900 so I didn't bother submitting.

>What would make the process easier is some free software, not for *logging*,
>but for typing in the information from our scribbled logbook, and putting it
>in the proper format.

I have the feeling that a good article in QST debunking the myths and
hardships of submitting logs via email would be a good place to start to
help more hams in this area. A good friend of mine does participate very
well in the contests but does not submit logs as he finds it too laborious.
Can't stand paperwork and doesn't have a PC until last month. I'm helping
him set up with a logging program and hopefully he will submit his first log.

Another good article could be written about various logging programs and
where to find them.   Maybe a review of logging programs which support VHF
contests.

>On the other hand, I don't really see the importance of getting a lot of logs
>submitted.  It seems to me that the most critical issue is encourage a lot of
>newbies (with rigs like FT-817's, FT-100's, etc.) to get on the air during
>contests.

There are two reasons to submit logs. 1) it provides a cross-check to keep
us honest and 2) it shows the League we are interested in the contest. If
we don't submit logs, then it is perceived by the league that the contest
is not important enough to keep going.

>As a relative newbie, I don't think any of the changes in scoring would have
>much impact on my decision to participate.  It was just a matter of having a
>new rig, and wanting to try out a new feature (VHF) that I had never had the
>opportunity to use in the past.  (We did a QRP rover operation, using
>horizontal dipoles hooked to the FT-817, and a quarter-wave mag mount hooked
>to a 2 meter HT.  The horizontal dipoles were made out of PVC pipe and steel
>rod, and set me back a total of about $10.)  It was very minimalist, but we
>made quite a few contacts and had a lot of fun.

Take a look at the "Cheap Yagis" by WA5VJB - see
http://www.fredspinner.com/W0FMS/CheapYagi/vjbcy.html for details.  I
helped a new VHFer build one and he is quite happy with the 6 ele 2m
antenna. Enough so we have to "Help" him build one for 222 and 432. Since
he lives in an apartment, he is going to try Roving.

>I do not think that having an ABD category would really affect our
>participation that much.  As newbies, we didn't really participate with the
>idea of beating anyone--we just did it for fun.

This is what attracts newbies to the contest. Not the scoring, not the
awards, just the fun. While working the Jan contest, one of the locals was
using his new FT-817 and essentially tagging along on 2m.  We helped him
work a station in NY.  To him, this was a challenge but it is what made the
contest fun for him. I even helped a higher score'er work a station knowing
he was going to beat my score but to me, this is what makes the contest
fun. It's much like a group working hilltop in the 10G contest.

>On the other hand, I have been looking at cheap and easy ways to increase our
>score.  For example, I have my eyes open for a cheap 220 FM rig (probably just
>an HT), to add a few multipliers.  Other possibilities are 1296 FM, or even
>adding some laser capability (it looks like a laser pointer can be modulated
>pretty easily).

You might check out W1GHZ's 222 converter for the FT-817 - Jan 2003 QST and
http://www.w1ghz.org for details. It is not difficult to build. You may
need assistance if you are not into building but you might find it fun
working "with" someone who is.

>My main point is that I don't think most of us VHF newbies are really too
>concerned about the rules and using them to get a high score.  It's just a lot
>of fun to have a lot of activity.  It was a lot of fun driving through a town
>and generating a pileup as we worked stations a few miles away from us.  And
>even though we only made a couple of QSO's of over a hundred miles, it was a
>thrill to work a little DX with QRP and such a minimal antenna.
>
>Anyway, I have discovered that VHF contests are fun, and I will be back!

Good luck in June !!!!!!!!!

Lee Scott - AA1YN
Home of the VHF & Up Register http://www.aa1yn.com/vhf
Hooksett, NH