[VHFcontesting] Is this a QSO?

John Geiger johngeig at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 21 10:02:29 EDT 2003

Since people refer to contacts via Echolink or IRLP as
"QSO", and I think that the ARRL will count them for
the first contact award, the rag chewers club, and the
friendship award, I am wondering if the following
would also count.

I have a cordless phone that operates on 904.7 MHZ FM,
which is in the 33cm band.  If I work another ham who
is also using a cordless phone in the 33cm band, (or a
2.4G model) and we both give callsigns-is it a "QSO".
Propagation was involved in getting the signal from
the handset to the base unit-with wires in between
each base unit.  Seems very similar to how IRPL is set
up.

73s JOhn NE0P