[VHFcontesting] Is this a QSO?

John K9IJ k9ij at vx5.com
Mon Apr 21 13:24:01 EDT 2003

At 11:45 AM 4/21/2003 -0500, Tree wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 09:02:29AM -0700, John Geiger wrote:
>
> > I have a cordless phone that operates on 904.7 MHZ FM,
> > which is in the 33cm band.  If I work another ham who
> > is also using a cordless phone in the 33cm band, (or a
> > 2.4G model) and we both give callsigns-is it a "QSO".
> > Propagation was involved in getting the signal from
> > the handset to the base unit-with wires in between
> > each base unit.  Seems very similar to how IRPL is set
> > up.
>
>Yes - this would count for VUCC.  However, if one of the phones
>involved is on 49 MHz, it won't.

I don't think so.

It violates rule 4c

c) No contacts through active repeaters are permitted, except for Satellite
Awards.

The Handset Base (on each end) with the phone line between them act as a
repeater,
in this case.

Contacts made thru Echolink or IRLP also do not count for VUCC or most of
the other
awards.

RCC and the Friendship award are the exceptions, however using cordless
phones, via
the telephone system, really violates the spirit of the awards, if not
technically violating
the rules.

John - K9IJ

-