[VHFcontesting] Re: ARRL VHF Contest

David A. Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Wed Apr 23 19:40:01 EDT 2003

The wild diversions of this thread might be entertaining if it wasn't so
ill informed.  I have to agree with K2AXX - everybody take a deep breath
and get a grip.

I am on the ARRL Contest Advisory Committee.  I also do the logchecking for
the 160M and 10M contests.  I talk to N1ND quite often and I have great
confidence in what he tells me.  From what I can see, the ARRL contest
program is running smoother than ever.

Moving contest line scores out of QST was purely a business decision; cost
vs. perceived benefit to the majority of ARRL members.  Do I like it -
no.  Was it anti-contest?  I don't think so.  There are a number of very
active contesters on the ARRL BoD and if that were the case I think we'd
see them resigning in disgust.

I think it's perfectly legitimate for the ARRL to use the number of entries
as their criteria for how well the contest is received.  At the same time,
the fact that the ARRL is looking for ways to increase activity in the
VHF/UHF contests should be taken as a sign of their support.

The start of this thread came from W3ZZ's article asking for ways to
improve the ARRL's VHF/UHF contest program.  Let's stick to that, OK?

73,

Dave/K8CC