[VHFcontesting] Compass headings

Tom Mayo tmayo1 at rochester.rr.com
Mon Apr 28 10:19:59 EDT 2003

Tom,

Declination is the difference between the Magnetic and True North Poles and
varies by location as you've noted.

For a declination of 13 degrees West, the Magnetic Pole appears 13 degrees
West of the True North Pole.  For example if you want to walk towards the
True North Pole and your compass does not correct for declination, you
should walk at a bearing of 13 degrees on your compass.  In other words,
your magnetic needle points 13 degrees West of True North.

There is more information here:
http://www.geocities.com/magnetic_declination/

Tom.