[VHFcontesting] VHF Contest Rules Revisions - Part III

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 30 16:17:31 EDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 08:05:15PM +0000, Bill Olson wrote:
> Hi Ken, Whew! Even if I agreed with you, which I don't, you don't answer my
> final question. How do you enforce such a rule (rule to eliminate "captive"
> rovers or so-called "manufactured" or good buddy QSO's)? Are you saying I
> cannot *work who I want to* in the contest??  Or that I *can only go roving
> on a route that will result in my best score*??? That really IS silly!

I don't know that I have the right answer.  I think a lot of these issues
haven't really received as much attention as they deserve yet, which is
why it's good that they have come up.

A good place to start is to get people discussing contesting ethics and
what kind of competitions we really want to have.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences          Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops